St John Lutheran Church Dickinson, ND

             
Our Story
(0 votes)
Add to favourites
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church … where We are Living in Service to Christ.

 

1910_church.jpgSt. John Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on December 15, 1903 with six charter members. At that time, worship was held in the Methodist Church until the congregation had its own house of worship, which was dedicated on April 1, 1906. Services were held in German and English during this time. On January 6, 1908, the congregation was incorporated.

 

The first issue of “St. John’s Messenger” was printed on September 1, 1923. This publication known as “The Messenger” today has been printed on a monthly basis since its onset, keeping members and the community informed of events within the congregation.

 

1928_church_and_parsonage.jpgIn 1945, a decision was made to build a new church building. On October 10, 1948, the cornerstone laying was celebrated. The congregation moved into the basement of the present church and worshipped there until the church proper was completed in 1950. Dedication services were held on June 18, 1950. In an attempt to reach its homebound members, St. John also began to broadcast the 10:30 am worship service over KDIX on December 25, 1949, and has continued since that date.

 

In the 1950’s, St. John experienced more growing pains as Sunday school classrooms were overcrowded, so classes also met in the parsonage basement. The congregation voted to purchase the house and property south of the parsonage to utilize as the parsonage, and using the old parsonage as a parish unit to hold Sunday school classes.

 

1950_church.jpg

However, in 1961 the congregation voted to build a parish education unit adjoining the church to care for the growing needs of the congregation. In the 1960’s, “open communion” was practiced, inviting all baptized members to participate in the sacrament of Holy Communion.

 

In the 1970’s, St. John added an Assistant Pastor as St. John continued to grow. Throughout the years since, renovations have been completed to make the church more accessible (handicap entrance and elevator) and inviting for everyone who comes to worship. The parsonage was moved from the grounds, allowing for additional outdoor space for gatherings and children’s events to take place.

 

churchsmall.jpgSt. John continues “Living in Service to Christ” by connecting with the community of Dickinson. In the last several years, the congregation has reached out into the community by helping to begin the AMEN Food Pantry, assisting in the recovery after the 2009 tornado, helping to begin Dickinson Churches United for the Homeless, as well as the Dickinson BackPack Program. These ministries build relationships among its members, growing deeper in faith and advancing the mission of the church both locally and globally.

 

It is community… it is a home … it is a place to grow in faith.


WORSHIP TIMES
September - May
Sundays 8:00 & 10:30 am
Wednesdays 6:00 pm (Camp-style service)
Thursdays 7:00 pm

June - August
Sundays 8:00 am & 9:30 am
Thursdays 7:00 pm
CONTACT INFO
St John Lutheran Church
146 6th AVE W
Dickinson, ND 58601

Phone: (701) 225-6747
Church Website Login
This is the STAFF LOGIN area. If you have no website account, click the Pencil Icon link above to create one. Then, confirm your account through email. One of our admins will then confirm who you are and approve the account.